On October 9th, ServiceMaster Cleaning and Restoration hosted clutter cleaner Matt Paxton at the Hotel Bethlehem. Paxton, the star of the television show Hoarders and author of the book, “The Secret Lives of Hoarders: True Stories of Tackling Extreme Clutter.”
Paxton stressed the importance of communication with the hoarder and how to begin the cleaning process. Man hoarders need mental evaluations and help to deal with situations on their lives. In an interview, Paxton identified five signs that indicate a friend or family member has an issue and may be hoarding .
- Identify if there is an underlying emotional trigger: Have they experienced a traumatic event in their past
- Recognize physical replacement: hoarders buy things to make themselves feel better
- Avoidance: The suspected hoarder no longer allows outsiders into their home
- Negative replacement and anxiety: Material things become more important than family
- Deteriorating safety: The home becomes dangerous to occupy
Paxton spoke on these topics at the Hotel Bethlehem’s Grand Ball Room, 437 Main St., Bethlehem from 10am tile noon. The event received local press coverage.
ServiceMaster Cleaning and Restoration now offers hoarding cleanup services as well as general contracting to repair damages when the effects of hoarding have caused permanent damage to a structure. Local residents can also call ServiceMaster Cleaning and Restoration of Lehigh Valley at 610-346-8545 or visit servicemastercleaningandrestoration.com
 “Hoarders: Five Warning Signs You or a Loved One Could Become One.” Lehighvalleylive.com. 6 Oct. 2014. Web. 13 Oct. 2014.